Sunday

Ernest

         Salut!  My name is Ernest.  I was named after the famous American writer, Ernest Hemingway and I happen to live in the same neighborhood Ernest lived in Paris during the 20's, Saint-Germain-des-Prés.  The area of Saint-Germain-des-Prés is part of the 6th arrondissement of Paris and was the center of many artistic and intellectual movements.  Additionally, it is home to many landmarks, such as Les Deux Margots, Café de Flore, and the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés which was built in the 6th century!  Speaking of the abby, its history has lent itself to the history of the entire area.  In the 11th century, it was the home to an important writing center and therefore turned the area into a center of intellectual life for Paris.  This theme continued into the 19th and 20th century helping the neighborhood of Saint-Germain-des-Prés to become the home of existentialism and artists and writers such as Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, and Juan Gris.

          Saint-Germain-des-Prés was documented in Hemingway's memoir A Movable Feast.  In his memoir, Hemingway writes about his everyday life while living in Paris during the 1920's.  This seemed like a fun time to live, for a human at least.  I would have liked to hear the music and get a doggy bag from the famous restaurants and cafes that were in the area.  Some of these eateries are still around, such a Les Deux Margots, Café de Flore, and Lipp's.  I haven't read many of the books and poetry that came out of that time, but my people do and they read it to me sometimes.  That even seems weird to me, but I can't complain.  I like hearing about my neighborhood and the people who lived in it years ago.  Saint-Germain-des-Prés is a fun place to be a dog!

Talking a walk around the town

No comments:

Post a Comment