Monday

Collete

          Bonjour, readers!  Bienvenu to the "Dog Blog", officially known as It's Raining Les Chien.  My name is Collete and I am a cat.  You might be asking, "Why is a cat a part of the 'Dog Blog'?"  Well, I'm a cat and I can do what I want!  Also, I was asked by my canine friends to introduce you to the blog and explain what you should expect.   Well, it's relatively simple, especially because it was designed by a bunch of dogs.  In the following posts, you will meet one or two dogs and learn about the area of Paris they spend time in or live.  I decided to give my support to the blog because I though it was a simple and entertaining way to get to know the city of Paris a bit better.  Not to mention, if cats made a blog about Paris, the positive response would be so overwhelming, it might overshadow the city.  A difficult feat, but cats can do anything.

          Anyway, moving on.  I figured considering this is the first entry, why not start on a good note with the input of an awesome cat?  So, here is my attempt to show you how great a city Paris is by explaining a little bit about my neighborhood.  Enjoy!

          I live in the 6th arrondissement of Paris near the famed Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe.  The Odéon theater is really cool and really old.  It was built in the late 1770's and was meant for the Comédie Française, but they decided to stay in their original location.  One interesting thing about the opening of the theater is it was inaugurated by the Marie Antoinette in 1782!   Then, in 1808 the theater went under reconstruction.  The new architect was the same guy who designed the Arc de Triomphe, Jean Chalgrin.  The theater was then officially named Théâtre de l'Impératrice, but everyone still called it simply the Odéon. However, in 1818 the theater burned down.  Luckily in 1819, the theater was rebuilt to its current design by Pierre Thomas Baraguay.

          The theater is a central part of the neighborhood.  I think it is one of prettiest buildings in Paris.  Sometimes I get to sneak in during a rehearsal or even a show.  I love watching the performances.  Its almost like being transported back in time, even if it is a more modern act.  There is a special feeling you get while watching a live performance in such an old and important building.  I think this is also true about Paris.  Walking the streets of a city that's history goes back multiple millennium, where ever you go something important happened there.  I realize that I live in one of, if not the best city in the world.  I am one lucky cat.

Me, taking a cat nap in a restaurant near the theater


The Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment